getdate (3)

Steven M. Bellovin smb at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Fri Mar 24 01:54:14 AEST 1989

In article <5339 at lynx.UUCP>, m5 at lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:
> The getdate() library routine is documented with my copy of 4.3 (Integrated
> "Solutions"), but does not appear to be there (a library called libu.a is
> missing).  Is getdate() in the public domain?  I'd love to have it if it
> is (I'd love to have it if it isn't, but that would mean trying to wring
> it out of the Integrated Solutions Software Destruction Department).

I wrote getdate() many years ago, and did not choose to assert a copyright
at that time.  Given the laws in effect then, that makes it public domain.
I really don't remember if I thought through the issue back then, but I
doubt I would have done anything differently if I had.

What is necessary, of course, is for someone to rewrite the routine; it
was built for v6 yacc, and doesn't use many newer features that would
make the code far more comprehensible.  It's really an unreadable mess.

Anyway, you probably have the code already; it's part of the netnews
source distribution.

		--Steve Bellovin