Structured Programming

GP Saxena gp at ist.CO.UK
Sun Mar 5 00:50:46 AEST 1989

Structured programming is a misnomer. I think what we should be
talking about is a Structured Approach to Programming. One can write
structured programs in  any language, including microprogram languages,
assembly langauages. Therefore, it does not make sense to talk of
"structured programming languages" and the like.
Just as a bad carpenter blames his tools, so a badly structured
program can be written in a high level language like Ada
(haven't we all seen one!).

The fact that structured programming is more of a matter of approach
can be seen by the way lots of people use languages like C++. They write
vanilla C programs in C++, without sitting back and planning
the program out first, and try to use the C++ facilities
in a more "object oriented" fashion.
What I am trying to say, is that again, the approach to using an object
oriented language is very different from that used for a language
without the OOP features.( This does not mean that you cannot do OOP in
C, only C++ is more suitable for it.)