CAKE

Mike Muuss mike at BRL.MIL
Sat Mar 4 15:50:41 AEST 1989

In the X community, the topic of alternatives to Imake has come up
again, and I figured that I would at least mention CAKE.  CAKE is dubbed
a "5th generation Make", because it uses pattern matching to fire it's
rules, rather than just simple suffix transformations like Make uses.
It also pre-processes scripts with CPP, like Imake.

With CAKE, we maintain binaries for six different kinds of machines
from one set of sources, via NFS (Gould, Sun, Alliant, SGI 3d, SGI 4d,
Convex).  It was this feature that caused us to abandon Make, and
seek another tool:  CAKE.

We obtained CAKE from "net.sources" a long time ago;  if anyone would
like to experiment with it, feel free to obtain it via anonymous FTP
from vgr.brl.mil:

-r--r--r--  1 mike        33050 Mar  4 00:29 arch/brl-cake-example.shar
-r--r--r--  1 mike       491520 Mar  4 00:27 arch/cake.tar
-r--r--r--  1 mike       182117 Mar  4 00:33 arch/cake.tar.Z

The example file shows how we manage the BRL-CAD source & binary trees.

	Best,
	 -Mike