UUCP problem

Wm. Brian McCane news at brian386.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 06:35:00 AEST 1989

In article <6336 at turnkey.TCC.COM> jack at turnkey.TCC.COM writes:
=>In article <609 at g4lzv.co.uk> keith at g4lzv.co.uk (Keith Brazington) writes:
=>>In article <483 at ispi.UUCP>, jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
=>>> Permission file entry:
=>>>
=>>> MACHINE=libcmp LOGNAME=libcmp \
=>>> 	COMMANDS=uucp:rmail \
=>>> 	READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/tmp \
=>>> 	WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/tmp \
=>>> 	SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes
=>>>
=>>> System file entry:
=>>>
=>>> libcmp Never ACU 19200 p0000 ogin:--ogin:--ogin: nuucp
=>>
=>>The problem with this is the LOGNAME entry. It should be LOGNAME=nuucp
=>>assuming that the remote uses this as the login id to get into the system.
=>>Remember that MACHINE is the ID of the machine, and that LOGNAME is the ID used
=>>to gain access to uucico.
=>
=>sites that login as nuucp but their LOGNAME is equal to their real systemid.
=>"nuucp" is the id passed through getty to login and identifies the 'shell' to
=>run as uucico, LOGNAME is determined during the uucp handshaking between the
=>two systems after uucico is started up, when it gets that id it looks in the
=>Permissions file for a LOGNAME equal to that id. Also it is not true that
=>MACHINE is the id of the incoming system, rather it is the id used when your
=>system makes an outbound call, at that time uucico again checks Permissions,
=>this time for the MACHINE id rather than for LOGNAME.
=>

I thought that MYNAME was the id used when your system makes an outbound
call.  And from the Permissions file on my system:

# LOGNAME=list :  specify the login(s) to be associated with this entry.
# ( LOGNAME=nuucp )
#
# MACHINE=list :  specify the machine to be associated with this entry.
# ( MACHINE=system5 )

I discovered the MYNAME command myself, by looking at the uucheck file
with less.  I am sure it is documented, but I dunno where.

	brian
--
Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
                                    | when you knock, equally spaced amid
Disclaimer: I don't think they even | those that open when you don't want
            admit I work here.      | them to. - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"