UUCP problem

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Fri Mar 24 01:19:30 AEST 1989

In article <423 at brian386.UUCP> news at brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) writes:
>=>In article <6336 at turnkey.TCC.COM> jack at turnkey.TCC.COM writes:

[ repetitive quoting deleted ]

>=>Also it is not true that
>=>MACHINE is the id of the incoming system, rather it is the id used when your
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^
>=>system makes an outbound call, at that time uucico again checks Permissions,
>=>this time for the MACHINE id rather than for LOGNAME.

>I thought that MYNAME was the id used when your system makes an outbound
>call.  And from the Permissions file on my system:
>
># LOGNAME=list :  specify the login(s) to be associated with this entry.
># ( LOGNAME=nuucp )
>#
># MACHINE=list :  specify the machine to be associated with this entry.
># ( MACHINE=system5 )
>I discovered the MYNAME command myself, by looking at the uucheck file
>with less.  I am sure it is documented, but I dunno where.

Is it really necessary to go into boring detail in order not to be
misunderstood??? Notice I said above "id used" I did not think it was
required to state what it was used for. It is the id used to identify
outbound permissions, NOT the name of your system. Let's say your system
is called 'bozo' and you want to poll the system 'dumdum', so you issue
the command:

		uucico -r1 -x5 -sdumdum

Now uucico scans the Permissions file to check for MACHINE=dumdum and see
if there are any special constraints calling dumdum, like maybe whether or
not I can SENDFILES. In fact, for whatever reason you may not want to
identify yourself as bozo when calling dumdum, so there will be an entry
there that says MYNAME=smartguy, now you will use that id during handshaking.

There, now is it all perfectly clear!?!

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Westchester,CA