UUCP problem

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Mar 25 08:44:13 AEST 1989

In article <423 at brian386.UUCP> news at brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) writes:
>=>>In article <483 at ispi.UUCP>, jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>=>>> Permission file entry:

>=>>> MACHINE=libcmp LOGNAME=libcmp \
>=>>> 	COMMANDS=uucp:rmail \
>=>>> 	READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/tmp \
>=>>> 	WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/tmp \
>=>>> 	SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes

>=>>> System file entry:

>=>>> libcmp Never ACU 19200 p0000 ogin:--ogin:--ogin: nuucp

>=>>Remember that MACHINE is the ID of the machine, and that LOGNAME is the ID used
>=>>to gain access to uucico.

MACHINE=xxx is used to locate this particular Permissions entry on an
outbound call only.  LOGNAME=yyy refers to the login name given to
log in to the machine and is used to locate this Permissions entry
also.  VALIDATE=zzz in the same entry means to check that a machine
claiming to be site zzz actually logged in with the login yyy (and
thus had to know the password associated with login yyy if it is
unique).

>=>... LOGNAME is determined during the uucp handshaking between the
>=>two systems

Not true, LOGNAME is the login name.  If you have a LOGNAME=nuucp
entry in Permissions any site logging in under nuucp gets the permissions
in that entry.  If you need to control permission it is best to make
each site use a unique login and make a LOGNAME entry for it.

>I thought that MYNAME was the id used when your system makes an outbound
>call.  And from the Permissions file on my system:

MYNAME is the site name your machine will claim to be.  It can be associated
with MACHINE= or LOGNAME= entries so that when you call (MACHINE) or are
called (LOGNAME) you can pretend to be something other than what uname
returns.

>I discovered the MYNAME command myself, by looking at the uucheck file
>with less.  I am sure it is documented, but I dunno where.

I'm sure I saw it mentioned in the 3B2 manuals but there is no mention
of it in the SysVr3.2 386 manual.  I hope it isn't going away because
I need it for a pair of machines on a lan that pretend to be a single
machine to most (but not all) of the world.  Obviously they can't
lie to each other...

Les Mikesell