C bug causes double panic

Michael Grenier mike at cimcorMN.ORG
Tue Mar 28 23:45:41 AEST 1989

>From article <18250 at gatech.edu>, by ken at gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii):
> In article <9989 at ihlpb.ATT.COM> gregg at ihlpb.ATT.COM (Wonderly) writes:
>>Multics comes to mind...  64K segments, 4 access levels, transfer
>>gates...

> I thought about that, but it is my understanding (which surely could
> be wrong) that multics is based on dynamicly allocated, variable size
> segments of potentially large size.  Certainly, the 80286 doesn't fit
> this criteria with its fixed size, 64K segments.  Also, doesn't

Huh,
    The 80286 doesn't have fixed 64K segments. You set the length of
the segment in the segment descriptor for that segment. From a user
level on this Microport box, you can allocate a segment of any size
 <= 64K using the brk() system call. Of course, its the 64K max segment
size that is the real pain.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike at cimcor.mn.org