C bug causes double fault (actually double panic)

Stephen Hocking shocking at physiol.su.oz
Wed Mar 29 17:31:51 AEST 1989

In article <2044 at viper.Lynx.MN.Org>, dave at viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) writes:
< In article <9884 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
<  >In article <244 at tree.UUCP> zarquon at tree.UUCP (Erin Filbert) writes:
<
<    { Mention that this causes the system to crash deleted by Doug Gwyn }
<
<  >>main()
<  >>{
<  >>	float x;
<  >>	printf("x = %d", x);
<  >>}
<  >
<  >You'll undoubtedly get a flood of responses correctly pointing out
<  >that conversion of a double (promoted float) argument according to
<  >an int format is incorrect.  Use %g or some such format specifier.
<
< And you will probably get a flood of responses correctly pointing out
< that what you say is irrelevent.  The original message mentioned that
< he "crashed the entire system" by running this program (calling it
< a "double fault" rather than "double panic"; which may have misled you).
< It doesn't matter that the C program has a bug, it still shouldn't
< crash the operating system.

	Ah, the joys of running under Uport 2.4. It is listed as a bug in
the release notes, but does not seem to trouble my machine (NEC APC4 8MHz,
80287-8) at this joint, but it does kill my home one (6MHz, 80287-3).

	AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

	Stephen
------

--------
	Stephen Hocking 	ACSnet shocking at physiol.su.oz
				UUCP ...!uunet!munnari!physiol.su.oz!shocking