Future at Berzerkeley

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Fri Mar 10 21:20:11 AEST 1989

>From article <13324 at steinmetz.ge.com>, by davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr):
>
>   Is there a future for BSD? Ignoring the issue of when new releases
> will be available, I get the impression that virtually all of the
> hardware vendors have joined OSF or UNIX International. Since both of
> these systems will be SysV based, will there be a demand for BSD in
> three years? Five?

I don't know about OSF (and don't really care :-)  but UNIX International
is basing its standard on System V Release 4 which I believe has or
will have most BSD features in it. Its unclear as your article points out
what demand there will be for pure BSD without System V features but
I suspect the demand will be there if for no other reason than the lack of
availability of V.4 for your machine and the nature of University/Research
types who think BSD is the greatest (actually, many others think it is too!)

Unfortuntely, there will only be UNIX V.2 for this lowly Intel 80286
box and that company may be in trouble :-( ... of course, I could run
XENIX :-( ... or should that be VENIX :-? ... or OS/2 (cough, choke ...)

    -Mike Grenier
     mike at cimcor.mn.org
     uunet!rosevax!cimcor!mike