Future at Berzerkeley

Greg S Hinton gregh at cup.portal.com
Sun Mar 5 16:33:53 AEST 1989

Since I only got one response with this restricted to the Bay Area, I'm
reposting with a wider distribution:

To anybody following BSD Unix for a while, my question will probably seem
pretty lame.  But I'm fairly new to all this, so please bear with me...

I've heard two conflicting predictions lately about the future of Unix
development at Berkeley.  One school of thought says that CSRG has lost
most of its funding (Dept. of Defense?) and so the evolution of BSD has
come to an end; all their wonderful ideas will be absorbed into System V
and the world will acheive homogeneous standardhood.

The other school of thought maintains that CSRG has only just begun; in
fact, a version 4.4 BSD will soon be upon us with some pretty radical
innovations.  And more will follow.

Who's right?  Or is the truth -- as I suspect -- somewhere between those
two extremes?

Greg Hinton
gregh at cup.portal.com
{hplabs!pyramid,amdahl!sun}!cup.portal.com!gregh