Future at Berzerkeley

Naim Abdullah naim at eecs.nwu.edu
Thu Mar 9 11:06:12 AEST 1989

Chris Torek writes:
>CSRG is a University project; it works like all University projects:
>it continues as long as someone maintains interest.  Where there is
>sufficient interest, someone will find funds.  There is certainly more
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>to be done than just ISO development; it seems likely that there
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>will be a 4.5BSD.

It is fairly well known (though I don't know how true) that 4.4BSD will
have POSIX compatible tty drivers, some kind of file system switch,
reworked VM, memory mapped files and ISO. So the 4.4BSD features appear
to have been frozen.

Chris mentions that there is more to be done than just ISO. I have been
wondering what innovative features would people like to see in future versions
of BSD such as 4.5BSD ? Which of these ideas are not already present in
System Vr4, Mach, V9 or Sprite ?

Here is your chance to give everybody your wishlist.

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS,
		      Northwestern University

		      Internet: naim at eecs.nwu.edu