Structured Programming

Carl M. Fongheiser cmf at cisunx.UUCP
Thu Mar 2 05:34:56 AEST 1989

In article <112 at .rsp.is> orn at rsp.is (Orn E. Hansen) writes:
>Maybe I'm wrong, but I think programs and programmers have become
>sluggier by time.  A program doing "wery little" needs at least 256K
>to run!!! Pheew!

Well, to be absolutely fair to the programs and programmers, one has to
realize that the contributions from the system libraries have grown
considerably as well, especially in the vendor system releases, like
SunOS or Ultrix.

For example, anytime I do a getpwent() or gethostent() (or anything
which calls those), I have to pull in a whole lot of Yellow Pages
and RPC code.  I had any number of programs grow by 30K or so, just
for being recompiled under Ultrix 2.0 instead of Ultrix 1.2.

This isn't necessarily bad (though I'm no Yellow Pages fanatic); it
really is doing a lot more.  Try getting rid of it if you don't need
it, though!

				Carl Fongheiser
				University of Pittsburgh
				...!pitt!cisunx!cmf