Structured Programming

Orn E. Hansen orn at rsp.is
Tue Mar 14 16:40:18 AEST 1989

In article <16325 at cisunx.UUCP>, cmf at cisunx.UUCP (Carl M. Fongheiser) writes:

> Well, to be absolutely fair to the programs and programmers, one has to
> realize that the contributions from the system libraries have grown
> considerably as well, especially in the vendor system releases, like
> SunOS or Ultrix.

That's true.  Libraries have grown a great deal as they are covering a
bigger material, and systems do differ so a different code is needed for a
different system, which in turn gives bigger (or smaller) code.

But sometimes we tend to use a library, that's actually doing a lot more
than is needed.  As a result, the program is slow and uses a lot more memory
than it otherwise would.  Later, as the pressure on the program increases,
users start to complain about the slowness of the program.  Now, as in most
cases I know off, we get a bigger machine to run the program.

I personally don't agree on that.  We should re-analyse to see if we can
cover the problem soft first.  Otherwise, we'll propably end by using a
MOON-SIZED-MACHINE to run it.

This is what I referred to as 'sluggy' (Saving the penny for the dime).

Orn Hansen

System Analyst at             | Internet: orn at rsp.is
National Hospital of Iceland, | UUCP: +!mcvax!hafro!krafla!rispa2!orn
Computer Department.          |