micro-code upgrade

Marion Hakanson hakanson at mist.cs.orst.edu
Fri Mar 24 08:42:17 AEST 1989

One can use arff(1) to manipulate VAX console media.  I have done just
that to extract a new microcode file from a tu58 cassette on the 750
which we no longer have.  Just before we got rid of the fellow, they
installed a boot prom upgrade which caused it to look for the ucode
file on the tu58 at power-on boot time.  This takes forever, so having
the 4.3bsd boot(1) patch (which we did a long, long time ago) do the
ucode loading from disk is preferable (leaving out the cassette makes
the prom skip trying the ucode load).

Please don't anyone ask me for the aforementioned patch -- I haven't
got it readily accessible anymore, and it's probably part of 4.3-tahoe
anyway (just a guess).

Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson at cs.orst.edu
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!hakanson