Could some kind sole explain cvec in autoconf to me.

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Mar 15 01:27:36 AEST 1989

Well, I am no fish, but ...:

In article <18695 at adm.BRL.MIL> kadmon!jason at mtxinu.com (Jason Venner) writes:
>How is the particular cvec value determined?
>How does the system associate an interupt by device X with the cvex
>computed at autoconf time?
>
>BSD/Ultrix?

As you can see by the date (1985), the instant replay below does not
apply to Ultrix.  (As far as I know, however, the only change is that
`br' and `cvec' are global variables instead of registers, and
fixctlrmask() is no more.)  As for the assocation process, why, that is
simplicity itself:  Initially, all uba interrupts N (for N in [0.127])
vector to the N'th catcher in the sequence

_catcher:
	pushr	$0x3f		# save r0,r1,r2,r3,r4,r5
	jsb	_Xustray	# push pc and branch
				# these two together are exactly 8 bytes
	pushr $0x3f; jsb _Xustray	# do it again
	... repeats 126 more times ...

_Xustray:
	blbc	_cold,outta_here	# error if not still configuring
	/*
	 * Autoconfiguration: figure out which vector actually occurred,
	 * and at what priority.
	 */
	mfpr	$IPL,_br	# or r11: interrupt level
	subl3	$_catcher+8,(sp)+,r0	# saved pc - catcher - 8
	ashl	$-1,r0,_cvec	# or r10: vector (after divide by 2)
	popr	$0x3f		# restore everyone
	rei			# and return

so whatever interrupt happens is recorded.  unifind() sets cvec to
01000 (0x200) and checks to make sure that, after the probe routine
returns, cvec is not 01000 nor 0.  (Note the `extern quad catcher[128]'
at the top of unifind() in /sys/vax/autoconf.c.  This was `extern int
catcher[256]' in 4.2BSD; but I changed it, partly to make the compiler
use movaq, but mostly to fit my twisted sense of semantics.  I got
lint's Locore.c edition of copyout() changed for the same reason....)

And now, history repeats. . . .