Booting PWB Unix1.0 to single user

Quentin Fennessy quentin at umb.umb.edu
Fri Mar 31 06:18:19 AEST 1989

I previously asked:
>I just found an old PDP11/44 in the back of our computer room. Until today
>I thought it ran only RSX, but I found an old Unix manual with it. I have been
>told that Unix is still on the disk.
>I would love to boot this machine, especially with the chance of finding
>source, (old, but source nonetheless) on it.
>The manual calls it PWB/UNIX Edition 1.0, with dates all in 1977.

Well, it has booted, but not to single user. Unfortunately all passwords
are history, and all I get is login:

When the machine boots, it says something like:
rc 1.5 booting pwbe0604 to multi-user
and then runs fsck on the system disk. It finds one file system corrupt,
tells me to find the sysadmin, and tells me to press HALT.
At this point everything I type is merely echoed. If I type <DEL>,
I get a login prompt. I cannot get this to singleuser.

If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for your help. Email is best, and if there is interest I will
document my progress for the net.
Quentin Fennessy
home	617-327-0660
work	617-499-4200