4.3 kernel/networking courses?

dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil
Fri Mar 31 06:30:24 AEST 1989

UCLA Extension is offering a class entitled "The 4.3BSD UNIX Kernel:
Introduction and Networking" by McKusick & Karels.  I'd like to know
if there are any similar courses taught closer to the east cost.
Here's a description of the course:

    A comprehensive overview of the BSD kernel.  The first half
addresses basic kernel services, process structure, memory management,
scheduling, paging, and swapping.  The kernel I/O structure is
described, emphasizing how I/O is multiplexed, special devices are
handled, and the buffer pool is managed.  The file system is also
covered.  The networking half presents an overview of networking
terminology and an introduction to the interprocess communication
interface (sockets).  Configuration, management, and testing are also
covered.  Routing issues are examined in detail, including routed,
RIP, gated, and EGP.  Machine specific parts of the system are not
discussed.

(May 22-26. For technical information call (213) 825-1047; for
registration information call (213) 825-3344.)

David Sill
dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil