Ugly file name

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Thu May 18 22:32:46 AEST 1989

In article <7170 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, neubauer at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Paul Neubauer) writes:
> Sorry, all, I tried to reply to this by email, but it
> bounced.

My pathalias didn't know about tdl either.  Don't feel bad.

> Well, it seems to me that writing a C program just to delete
> one file is a bit of overkill.  The easiest way to get rid
> of it is probably just:

[ stuff deleted ]
True, it's easy, but it does get _rid_.  A c program called
'fix' is handy to rename such a file.  I'm not sure I should
post it here since it's probably available at some archive
facility, etc...  If enough requests arrive, I'll do so, though.

Anyway, it's simple: appeared in the Feb '87 issue of UnixWorld
magazine (p. 97).  It takes an argument of inode number and
changes said filename to 'fix.out'.  Handy to have around.

> As I see it (and this is NOT intended as a flame), this
> illustrates a problem with the *nix filesystem:  filenames
> can be created that cannot then be sensibly manipulated.  I
> LIKE the flexibility of *nix filenaming where you are not
> required to have a '.' in all filenames (like some OS's
> which shall remain nameless) and (at least with BSD) names
> can be reasonably long, but it can be a hassle when you
> accidently create a file with a wierd or ugly name and then
> cannot easily rename or delete it.

Don't forget that it was that very flexibility which allowed you
to get out of the mess in the first place!  Try something like
del *xn* on (nameless) and see how far it gets you!

This, too, is not intended as returned flame or even dousing...
just trying to put things in perspective.  You _can_ get stupid
filenames in (nameless) also... haywire applications, etc.  Try
getting rid of them with (nameless) utilities, though!
--
Frank Bicknell; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236-5701
killer!usource!frankb