Ugly file name

Fred Rump from home fr at icdi10.UUCP
Mon May 22 03:12:21 AEST 1989

I think we've just about exhausted the bad file name issue here.  From the
hundreds of messages that have challenged the ingenuity of many, one can
easily tell that there are two sets of users out there.

First there are those who simply do what comes natural and then there are
those who make life difficult for themselves and the rest of the world.

Many of our ordinary, un-schooled and un-computer educated users create crazy
files all the time by accident.  They don't even think of this as a problem.
They simply go to their friendly little word processor (Lyrix) and delete or
rename to their heart's content by picking from the list of files available to
them using nothing but an arrow key.

We should remember that most users out there may think that grep is some kind
of dirty grope for unnamed body parts.  And I suppose that shows that all is
well in computerland.  They simply do their work from their friendly little
menus while we continue to fight the valiant battle the press keeps talking
about:  how difficult it is to run Unix.  Hmmm!
Fred Rump

--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.                ...{bellcore rutgers bpa uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr