Strange 4.3 network crash

Roy Smith roy at phri.nyu.edu
Sun Nov 26 06:53:36 AEST 1989

	We've been having a series of strange crashes on our MtXinu
4.3BSD/NFS Vax.  In the latest, people logged in on regular serial lines
could still do stuff, but everthing having to do with the network was
wedged.

	The machine wouldn't respond to pings, and when I logged in on the
console I couldn't even ping localhost.  On the other hand, I did see an
occasional flash on the ethernet tranciever "xmit" LED and if I looked with
tcpdump, I could see the Vax send back one ack packet for every incoming
rlogin attempt.  Ifconfig said the network interface was up and had the
proper settings.  I tried doing an "ifconfig down" followed by "ifconfig up"
but that didn't do any good.  Netstat -r showed reasonable looking routes
and netstat -m showed plenty of mbufs left.

	Any idea what might have happened?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"