How does curses do keyboard escape sequences in System V

Trevor J. Harris trevor at trevan.uucp
Sun Nov 26 09:49:15 AEST 1989

Please could someone tell me how system V curses tells the difference
between a single escape and one that is part of a special key sequence
such as the arrrow keys. I think other systems measure the time between
the characters and if this is too long it is interpreted as a single
character. But system 5 does not seem to be able to do this because
none of the system calls can measure the time to the accuracy required.

Please could you mail me any info as I dont normally read this group.
			thanks