C on Sixth Edition UNIX

Roy Smith roy at phri.nyu.edu
Sun Nov 26 13:41:48 AEST 1989

In article <31 at altos86.Altos.COM> clp at altos86.UUCP (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
> The C as delivered on Sixth Edition UNIX is otherwise known as "C=-".

	It may have been missing some modern features, but at least it
worked.  That is more than I can say about the f77 delivered with v6.
We're talking about things like logical if statements not working right.

	Raise your hand if you ran the Princeton port of RT-11 Fortran on
your v6 machine.  From the early days of Unix, Fortran has been a bastard
son, grudgingly supported, but not really given the same respect as C.
This has been less true over the past couple of years, but the bigotry
still shows through.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"