pronunciation of *

Woodrow Baker woody at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue Nov 14 00:50:20 AEST 1989

In article <1234 at unify.UUCP>, dgh at unify.UUCP (David Harrington) writes:
> In article <303 at orchid.warwick.ac.uk> maujt at warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) writes:

When I first got started with 'C' I had a &^$%^* (ha) of a time understanding
pointers.  It only became clear when my guru (all beginning 'C'ers need a guru)
told me to pronounce it as    'at'   It would have made a lot more sense
for K & R to have defined    '@' to be the indirection operator, since it is
not used, and since it unloads the '*' a bit, but it was not done.

char * pointer   ====>verbalizes as    char at pointer    which clearly
states the concept.

cheers, Woody