pronunciation of *

Pete French pcf at galadriel.bt.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 22:20:08 AEST 1989

(I have resisted contributing to this junk until now but...)

>In article <9945 at attctc.Dallas.TX.US> nasa at attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Daniel Poirot) writes:
>
>How do you pronounce '*'?

Long ago, before I had ever encountered UNIX, I read a magazine article
entitled "UNIX - pretender to the throne of CP/M ?"  (which actually
slagged it off rather badly for not fitting onto a 64k Z80 machine!)
that calimed that everyone pronounced "*" as "glob" - short for "global"
as in "ls *". Most people I have met think that it should be pronounced
as "glob" - but none of them ever use it.

-Pete French.