pronunciation of *

Andrew Cunningham andyc at hpopd.HP.COM
Thu Nov 9 20:57:31 AEST 1989

/ hpopd:comp.unix.wizards / dsr at stl.stc.co.uk (David Riches) /  1:18 pm  Nov  6, 1989 /
>In article <2008 at cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> cliff at cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) writes:
>%  ... and what about '!' (bang) and '~' (twiddle) and '#' (pound)
# is a hash on my screen.  I use hash for this, irrespective
of whether it's actually displayed as a hash or a pound sign.

>%  although I don't know WHY '^' is called 'carrot' ('caret')  :-)
>%
>Actually it's '!' (shriek) and '~' (tilde) and '#' (hash) nad '^' (hat!!)
>----------

What's wrong with "twiddle" for a `~'? The problem is that when you have
a conversation littered with the words "twiddle", "widget", and "gadget",
non computer experts think you're under the afluence of inkahol, so
to speak.

Also I like pling for !.

I just wish I could get out of the habit of pronouncing $ as "string",
from my (not-too) early childhood days of BASIC (if you'll excuse my
language).

It doesn't really matter how you pronounce it, as long as other people
know what you mean.....