uucp over terminal server

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Sun Nov 19 06:24:10 AEST 1989

First, I want to make everyone reading this aware of that we're selling the
stuff mentioned  in this article, so I guess I'm kind of biased.

Anyway, darryl at lemuria.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:

> I am looking to put together a uucp site and would like to use a
> SPARCstation 330 as the system.  But the 330 doesn't seem to support
> the ALM-2, so I thought about using an ethernet terminal server.
> Does anyone know how well a terminal server will work for uucp traffic?

We've been using Annex II terminal servers from Xylogics, Inc. and Encore
Computer Corp. for uucp traffic for the last 3-or-so years. I have still
to encounter any problems, once you get the stuff configured correctly for
your application.

BTW, we use V.32 modems which talks at 38.4 Kbps to the server regardless of
what the current line speed is. Just make sure that the remote site disables
xon/xoff flow control before rlogin'ing to the host. The chat script that
we use to give out to remote sites goes something like (with Annex security
enabled for dial-in ports):

sername:--sername: Uremote ssword: abcdef nnex: stty\siflow\snone\soflow\snone
nnex: rlogin\shost ogin: Uremote ssword: xyz

As I said, we haven't had any problems with doing this since we first tried
it 3 years ago.

          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson at erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB