vi (was: Re: Real Time UNIX)

Robert Thurlow thurlow at convex.com
Wed Nov 15 16:17:45 AEST 1989

mikulska at odin.ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) writes:
>In article <2808 at convex.UUCP> thurlow at convex.com (Robert Thurlow) writes:
>>I use 'vi' daily, and while I won't be without it and don't care much
>>for most Emacsen, I'll never say 'vi' is easy to learn.

>I use vi daily and i'd say it's so easy to use that there is nothing
>really to learn, except for some more esoteric features.
>Our users don't complain too much about vi.

Hey, I said *learn*.  I have had a *lot* of complaints from people
trying to learn it.  Especially the weenies weaned on PC-based word
processors :-)  If you've learned, it's just fine, though.

>> EDT and LSE were one of the easier things to pick up when I
>>did a VAX/VMS project awhile ago ...

>I had to use VAX/VMS and EDT some time ago. EDT was extremely confusing
>for me after I had gotten used to vi.

I probably would have had a tougher time if I hadn't used WPS on PDP-8
machines a long time ago, and MicroEmacs regularly at home.

And like has been mentioned, you shouldn't even *think* of trying to use
a non-DEC terminal to run those editors :-(

Rob T
Rob Thurlow, thurlow at convex.com