vi (vs VMS/EDT)

Henk Langeveld henk at cs.eur.nl
Wed Nov 15 09:36:04 AEST 1989

mikulska at odin.ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) writes:

>> EDT and LSE were one of the easier things to pick up when I
>>did a VAX/VMS project awhile ago ...

>I had to use VAX/VMS and EDT some time ago. EDT was extremely confusing
>for me after I had gotten used to vi.

And consider the case when you haven't got a DEC-compatible terminal,
without function keys ?

The *one* thing about vi that I really appreciate, is that I don't
need any function keys, while life without them is hard at least
on EDT/TPU/EVE.

Vi is one of those things of which you think, when you first encounter
it: "How will I ever tame this monster?"   But once you realize
the basic principle of input/command/line mode, it's not so bad at
all.

Perhaps we could use a vi tutorial, to get people acquainted with
the basics of vi.  Anybody?  Maarten?

-Henk