A few questions on the SysV shl program

Christoph Kuenkel ckl at uwbln.UUCP
Wed Nov 29 02:57:13 AEST 1989

In article <148 at dy4.UUCP>, paul at dy4.uucp (Paul Burry) writes:
> In article <1989Nov14.145043.5428 at investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp at investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>

> >1.	Write doesn't work to a shl layer.  We have a number of programs
> >[...]
> I once worked around this bug in "write" by linking the special files
> in /dev/sxt/ to special files in /dev/.  It seems that "write"
> didn't realize that the sxt??? devices recorded in /etc/utmp really
> refer to the special files /dev/sxt/???.
Not only write(1).  ttyname(3) fails on most systems, when the link into
/dev/sxt* is not done.  the bug is to move the sxt devices into a
subdirectory cause this breaks fundamental assumptions in many unix tools.

--
# include <std/disclaimer.h>
Christoph Kuenkel/UniWare GmbH       Kantstr. 152, 1000 Berlin 12, West Germany