(BSD) script problem

Bill Stapleton wls at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Thu Nov 23 11:01:36 AEST 1989

I've been looking into a problem we have with the script program garbaging
output to the terminal.  I haven't found a newer version, fix, or mention of
this problem, so here goes.  This is with BSD 4.3-tahoe and script 5.6:

The problem seems to stem from script running in RAW mode, expecting everything
else to take care of the flow-control.  Unfortunately, the response to XOFF is
then too slow, and a slow terminal is over-run, producing various unusable
displays.  I note that other programs, notably rlogin, use the TIOCPKT feature
of the pty to figure out when RAW mode is neccesary, running CBREAK (with its
own local flow-control) otherwise.  Is there a reason that script doesn't do
this?  (appologies if I've condensed this down past making any sense)

Does anybody else consider this a real problem?  Has anyone fixed it?

--
Bill Stapleton
     wls at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
     uwmcsd4!wls