re-constructing a un*x boot record

Michael Davidson md at sco.COM
Wed Apr 11 06:51:56 AEST 1990

lennox at lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) writes:

>Is there a standard, or accepted place on the disk where the boot record can
>be found?  If I read the first sector of the root partition, do I stand a
>good chance of finding it?
It's worth looking there, but there is no guarantee of what you will find.

>The reason I ask is that I have a "Brand X" un*x box, running a hacked
>System V.0 look-alike.
It would probably help immensely if you could tell us just which
"Brand X" you happen to have, and which hacked System V lookalike
you happen to be running. Chances are that someone reading this
news group actually *knows* the answer - without that information
your guess is probably as good as mine or anyone else ....