TAR-Z Files

CMSgt Michael L. Shamel email!lgdelta!mshamel at tachost.af.mil
Sat Apr 14 02:35:05 AEST 1990

Help,  We recently obtained a copy of the UNIX-C archive from
SIMTEL20.  Thanks very much.  Now the problem.  The info we have
says the files are in compressed tar format.  So we downloaded the
tape to our hard disk using tar, and then attempted to uncompress them
using the uncompress on our system.  (AT&T 3B2 running Systems V 3.2)

What we get when we do this, is a file with the tail cut off and questionable
characters in the file.  (we can not unshar them nor can we compile them
when we separate them manually).

There is of course, a compress program in the archive.  We can't get to it
because we don't have the proper unshar tool.  The unshar tool is also
on the tape but in compressed form, which we also can't get to.

How do I get out of this catch-22?  Where can I get a copy of plain
vanilla unshar & compress source code that will run on System V?

	mike...