Automatic login script execution

Joe Greco jgreco at archimedes.math.uwm.edu
Thu Apr 12 05:10:42 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.wizards article <40193 at apple.Apple.COM>, vlb at Apple.COM (Vicki Brown) wrote:
:My personal inclination is to lean towards using a standard .login/.profile
:somewhere, setting up new users accounts to source this file, and including
:comments to tell them why they want to.  (I've never liked sysadmins who force
:me to do something.)  What, precisely, are you doing for these people that
:you must force it to be done?  Can't you explain why they don't want to edit
:things away?

Besides, there isn't a heck of a lot that you can do in a cshrc that cannot
be undone on the command line.

Generally users do not seem to change things in their .cshrc files that they
do not understand.  This applies to about 90% of the users on this site.
Anybody knowledgeable enough to want to change whatever it is that you want
to put in it probably knows why you did it and why they should want to do
otherwise.

... Joe