Automatic login script execution

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Apr 12 04:40:21 AEST 1990

>>Um, wont't /etc/profile and/or /etc/cshrc do that right now?
>
>Unfortunately, /etc/cshrc is not standard (it is not in BSD 4.3 and it does not
>appear to be in SunOS 4.0).

It doesn't appear to be there because it isn't there.

I think some systems may support it, but with a different name; I seem
to remember that HP-UX supports it, but it may be called something else.
I think AT&T picked up that feature in the S5R4 C shell, perhaps with
the HP-UX name....

>It would also appear that /etc/profile is not standard either.

It's largely standard on systems with System III or later Bourne shells
(except, I think, some SunOS releases between 3.0 and either 3.2 or
4.0).  However, some systems with older Bourne shells exist, so it's not
universal.