Automatic login script execution

Vicki Brown vlb at Apple.COM
Wed Apr 11 09:40:22 AEST 1990

In article <780 at barsoom.nhh.no> tholo at barsoom.nhh.no (Thorsten Lockert) writes:
>schriste at uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
>>Can anyone point me to a login.c replacement which causes a global
>>.login file to be executed first? I assume I would place a "source ~/.login"
>>as the last line of this global file.
>
>Um, wont't /etc/profile and/or /etc/cshrc do that right now?

Unfortunately, /etc/cshrc is not standard (it is not in BSD 4.3 and it does not
appear to be in SunOS 4.0).  On A/UX, the sources indicate that /etc/cshrc
is derived originally from UniSoft.  It would also appear that /etc/profile
is not standard either.

My personal inclination is to lean towards using a standard .login/.profile
somewhere, setting up new users accounts to source this file, and including
comments to tell them why they want to.  (I've never liked sysadmins who force
me to do something.)  What, precisely, are you doing for these people that
you must force it to be done?  Can't you explain why they don't want to edit
things away?

If you are only looking for notification (rather than variable setting
and the like), why not /etc/motd?
--
Vicki Brown			(408) 974-2120
A/UX Engineering		vlb at apple.com

all opinions are mine (but I'm willing to share :-)