How to create a restricted shell

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Tue Jan 9 07:05:48 AEST 1990

In article <5946 at cps3xx.UUCP> pantz at mth.msu.edu (Tzu-Hsi Pan) writes:

| Could someone tell me how to build up a restricted shell for some user
| such that only a couple of commands can be executed under a new root
| environment?  Thanks.

  rsh works with /bin/sh and ksh. You can either execute the rsh command
(SysV) or execute the shell with the -r flag. You simply set the PATH to
point to a directory containing only the things you want to allow, and
then (assuming a recent shell) set the PATH variable readonly. I usually
create a /usr/rbin directory and link stuff in from /bin and /usr/bin.

Ex:
	PATH=/usr/rbin
	readonly PATH; export PATH

--