C Documentation Utility Needed

Tony Rems rembo at uts.amdahl.com
Wed Jan 10 12:24:00 AEST 1990

In article <625 at h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dymm at b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:

>I am looking for a utility to help in the documentation of C code.
>
>Input:  Multiple 'C' files.
>
>Output: A cross reference report showing the call hierarchy of
>	all functions.
>	Thus, the report might be in the form of a tree where
>	each function is listed showing from where it is called
>	and perhaps how many times it is called.
>

>David Dymm			Project Manager
>
>USMAIL: Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems,
>        145 Fayette Street, Morgantown, WV 26505
>PHONE:	304 291-2651 (8:30-4:30 EST)
>USENET:  {allegra,bellcore, cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!dymm
>INTERNET: dymm at b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

There is a set of tools from McCabe & Associates called Battlemap, ACT &
the Inference Engine.  These tools are designed to measure complexity
of C code (as well as code in other languages) and it runs under UNIX on
Sun and a few other platforms.  It can produce the calling structure
of a pieced of code as well as the internal structure of the code.
It can produce a report or a graph (or both) and using the inference
engine it produce cross reference information on the internal
structure of the code - including called-bys called-from calls-to
and number of calls.  Although, I found it rather limited in its
capacity as a test tool - which was its purpose, it sounds like it
might suit your purposes.  If you'd like any more info, send me
some e-mail.

-Tony