Need tool for examining vm-paging performance on Sys-V

Greg McGary gm at keysec.kse.com
Tue Jan 16 05:40:42 AEST 1990

Our MIPS M/120 has been spending too much time page-thrashing lately.
I would like to have a utility that tells me about the paging behavior
of all processes so I can decide which processes are the most culpable.

All that the Sys-V ps(1) tells me is the size of a processes swappable
image, not the size of the resident working-set.  I was able to get a
few clues by using crash(1) to look at the region table, but its not
presented in a very convenient form, since I must do a `join' with the
process table to find out information about processes.

If no one has such a tool, I'll try hacking something together either
by using awk(1) to massage crash output (gag!) or a C program that
periodically examines the region and proc tables.

Please respond via mail if possible, and thanks in advance for leads.

-- Greg McGary
-- Key Systems Engineering
-- Work: (703) 742-7870  Home: (703) 352-0407
-- gm at kse.com, gm at cs.duke.edu, ..!uunet!keysec!gm