BSD kernel mem allocation info

march at m.cs.uiuc.edu march at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 16 04:38:40 AEST 1990

I am currently studying 4.3BSD kernel memory allocation.  I have tried to
compile a list of memory allocators and make notes on the implimentation of
each.  The following is the list thus far:

alloc
allocbuf
alloccg
alloccgblk
brealloc
calloc
dqalloc
falloc
hashalloc
ialloccg
m_clalloc
realloccg
rmalloc
ufalloc
vsxalloc
xalloc

I have yet to look at many of these so I assume that all of these eventually
call either memall() or vmemall() as some point within their execution.
I am also aware of the malloc()/free() interface provided by the Tahoe
release.

Are there any which are listed here which should not be considered major
memory allocators or any which should be considered as such and are not listed.

Thanks for the help.

-Steve

Steve March                            (H) (217)328-5176/328-5230  (W) 333-7408
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois
march at cs.uiuc.edu                           {uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!march
/* You are not expected to understand this. */ - swtch() UNIX V6 kernel source
"Time and space are modes by which we think and not conditions in which
 we live."  - Albert Einstein