What do you want in a signal library?

brnstnd at stealth.acf.nyu.edu brnstnd at stealth.acf.nyu.edu
Wed Jan 17 19:59:27 AEST 1990

For amusement I'm writing a BSD library for dealing with signals in
The Right Way. Each signal gets a stack of handlers, invoked one at a
time when the signal arrives. There are functions for manipulating the
stacks, temporarily blocking a signal (but receiving it when the block
is released), turning off the special handling, etc. What else do people
want? Should there be special routines dealing with particular signals:
CHLD, time signals (ALRM, VTALRM, PROF), and so on?

On the same subject: How does one correctly code ANSI C raise() so as to
prevent race conditions? I want to make sure I'm not messing this up.

---Dan