ATT 386 Questions

KJE2282 at venus.tamu.edu KJE2282 at venus.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 11 17:01:51 AEST 1990

 Fellow Uni*philes,
	 We have recently aquired 2 AT&T WGS 386E towers running
 System V release 3.2 with 300 Mb ESDI drives and I have a few
 questions.

	 1)  Do you know a source for cheap memory boards for
	     these systems (the 32 bit memory bus is att pro-
	     prietary).  att is asking the ridiculous price of
	     $3000 for a 4Meg memory board, second party dealers
	     we contacted were higher.

	 2)  Are there any cheap Ethernet cards which can make use
	     of the higher interupts (8-15) and the associated
	     drivers and software for these cards ? att has
	     convieniently assigned all the lower interupts for
	     us and there doesn't seem to be any way to rebuild the
	     kernel to free up these interupts, even if the
	     associated hardware is not installed.

	 3)  Has anyone patched VI so that it can handle files
	     larger than 400kB?

	 4)  Is there a convenient collection of all the Berkley
	     PD tools modified for SysV laying around somewhere ?
	     I have been crawling through the comp.sources.unix
	     archives, but I'm sure many people have already gone
	     through the process of building up a tools collection.

 If anyone has any genral comments on the machines, or you just own
 one, I would be glad to hear from you.  There are a lot of them on
 this campus, but most are running DOS.

			 Thanks,
			      Kevin J. English