UNIX V rel 3 Device Driver

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Thu Jan 11 18:25:07 AEST 1990

In article <22026 at adm.BRL.MIL> KENG%NUSEEV.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>I am currently developing a device driver for  the p1580
>card from Proteon. My work station is using Unix system V
>release 3. I have been hunting around for the Kernel routines
>that I can use. The few kernel commands that I know are
>from the sun 3 reference manual "Writing a device driver".
>However since sun is using BSD unix, they are not compatible.
>The model of my machine is Motorola SysV/68.

You probably will want to use System V.3 STREAMS.  AT&T sells two books,
a STREAMS Primer and a STREAMS Manual which contains much of what you
need to know.  The Primer is overpriced and is largely a subset of what is
in the Manual, but when I remember reading both a few years ago, it
felt like there was some stuff in the Primer which was missing in
the manual.  I can't say for certain right now.

A STREAMS device driver is fairly straightforward once you grok the
way the entire design works.  It's always helpful to have boilerplate to
copy from, of course, but you can probably do a fair job on your own.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu