SYS V Bourne Shell .shrc file

Ti Kan ti at altos86.Altos.COM
Fri Jan 12 06:20:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan7.175807.13054 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>I think the csh behavior cited above is more correct.  I've gotten sick of
>kluging around Altos's csh, which invokes .cshrc before /etc/cshrc

I don't know what version of our System V on what hardware platform you have,
but I have checked our csh under Altos System V on the Altos 80386 series 600,
1000 and 2000 as well as the Altos 80486 series 1000, and all of it invokes
$HOME/.cshrc *after* /etc/cshrc.

>a login shell, because /etc/cshrc usually contains a line like "stty kill ^u"
>(Altos's default is ^X, ugh).  Boo, hiss.

Ctrl-X is a semi-standard kill character, as is Ctrl-U.  The standard kill
character dating back to who-knows-when is @ (would you use that?).  Stty
allows you to set it to anything you want, so this shouldn't be a problem.

>Besides which, the user shouldn't
>be given the opportunity to alter what /etc/cshrc does; if .cshrc is run
>forst, the user can drop an alias in place of one of the commands in
>/etc/cshrc.  (It's not a security hole, but it *can* violate the Principle of
>Least Surprise.)
>Brandon S. Allbery    allbery at NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)

I agree with you.  But, like I said, I found our csh to behave correctly
in this regard.

-Ti
--
Ti Kan                                                                  \\\
vorsprung durch technik!                                                 \\\