SYS V Bourne Shell .shrc file

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Jan 14 04:42:04 AEST 1990

As quoted from <154 at altos86.Altos.COM> by ti at altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan):
+---------------
| In article <1990Jan7.175807.13054 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| >I think the csh behavior cited above is more correct.  I've gotten sick of
| >kluging around Altos's csh, which invokes .cshrc before /etc/cshrc
|
| I don't know what version of our System V on what hardware platform you have,
| but I have checked our csh under Altos System V on the Altos 80386 series 600,
+---------------

It may have been the older ones (286 and/or Series 2000 Xenix) that had the
bug; I haven't tested it recently, since I dislike having my logins blow up on
me.  Getting a failed history substitution on login can produce results
ranging from being dumped into a plain vanilla csh to being completely unable
to log in, depending on what commands are run.  If you *did* fix this, I thank
you.

+---------------
| >(Altos's default is ^X, ugh).  Boo, hiss.
|
| Ctrl-X is a semi-standard kill character, as is Ctrl-U.  The standard kill
| character dating back to who-knows-when is @ (would you use that?).  Stty
| allows you to set it to anything you want, so this shouldn't be a problem.
+---------------

I occasionally have to; although they have to drag me kicking and screaming to
work on 3B/2's....  We *do* change it, which is the problem---we say "stty
kill ^u" in /etc/cshrc and it blows up (or at least used to) if I do my usual
"set histchars=^@" in my .cshrc.

I'll check the 386 csh; if it is in fact fixed, I thank you.  The previous
behavior was rather annoying....

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery at NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at cwjcc.cwru.edu
*(comp.sources.misc mail to comp-sources-misc[-request]@backbone.site, please)*
*Third party vote-collection service: send mail to allbery at uunet.uu.net (ONLY)*