SCSI Questions

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Sat Jan 13 12:20:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan8.180709.3440 at uunet!unhd> rg at uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez)
writes:
>In the SCSI spec, they say that the target controls the C/D, MSG, and
>I/O bits.  Fine.  In this case, why is there a "target control register"
>on the chip, which in the code examples I have, is used by the initiator
>to "Assert C/D, I/O, or MSG".

As someone else pointed out, this is because the 5380 can act as either
initiator or target.

>In the spec, they say things like "wait one bus settle delay".  Does
>this kind of picky solder-jockey timing become an issue for me as a
>programmer?

This depends on the chip (and sometimes on the glue logic connecting
it to its bus).  With cheap hardware, you have to delay in software.
This is not so bad if the delays are short.  It becomes a real problem
when you have to write

	foodev->foo_csr = FOO_SETUP;
	DELAY(12000);		/* wait ~12 milliseconds */
	foodev->foo_csr = FOO_SETUP | FOO_GO;
	DELAY(1000);		/* another millisecond */
	foodev->foo_csr = FOO_GO;

This is when you wish whoever built the thing had handled the `set up
and go' case directly. . . .
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris