History of TERMCAP

Teruhiko Kurosaka - Sun Intercon kuro at vodka.Sun.Com
Fri Jan 5 13:06:16 AEST 1990

If I remember correctly, the TERMCAP variable was first used to keep an
alternative filename of the TERMCAP database to be used instead of
the standard /etc/termcap.
But today, it is also used to keep the TERMCAP entry for the current
terminal, probably in attempt to speed up data retrieval.
This is very annoying me because the filename and its contents are two
different thing and one variable is used to keep either one.
Any way, I just wonder why, when and how this strange practice
has started.  Does anyone know about it? (Should I ask this kind of
question to alt.folklore.computer?)
--
-------
T. Kurosaka ("Kuro") --- Sun Microsystems, Intercontinental Operation