Phantom CPU gobbler?!

Bob McGowen x4312 dept208 bob at wyse.wyse.com
Wed Jul 4 01:45:06 AEST 1990

In article <1277 at tuewsd.win.tue.nl> wsinpdb at lso.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
>In article <960004 at teecs.UUCP> belkin at teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:
>>Every so often I fins a shell process (sh or ksh) which has somehow
---
>>the shell's PPID is "1", and the user is no longer logged on.
>
>This is the infamous trap/signal/eof bug, which I don't know exactly,
---
>Anyone know the full scoop?

This is an educated guess:

	trap "" 0

The signal "0" is a pseudo signal used by the shell to indicate a user
has logged off.  I use it to generate a clear screen function when my
users log off (trap clear 0).  It could also be that someone is trying
to get a particular function to run as they log off and have an infininte
loop somewhere.  I just tried:

     trap infin 0

where infin is:

	while :
	do
	:
	done

and got massive "usage" of free CPU time, so this may actually be the
problem.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com