Phantom CPU gobbler?!

Paul de Bra wsinpdb at lso.win.tue.nl
Mon Jul 2 22:31:58 AEST 1990

In article <960004 at teecs.UUCP> belkin at teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:
>Every so often I fins a shell process (sh or ksh) which has somehow
>become dis-associated with its logon session.  By this I mean that
>the shell's PPID is "1", and the user is no longer logged on.

This is the infamous trap/signal/eof bug, which I don't know exactly,
but some combination of trapping and sending signals and having
end-of-file on standard input causes an infinite loop in the Bourne
and Korn shell, at least in some Unix versions which haven't fixed the bug.

Anyone know the full scoop?

Paul.