Using the raw disk partition

Dave Lee dave at dptechno.UUCP
Sat Jul 28 02:23:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul26.195530.24961 at cbnewsm.att.com> marz at cbnewsm.att.com (martin.zam) writes:
>I have run Oracle Databases with Raw disk for production systems on heavily
>loaded systems.  I must warn you that Raw disk uses the same Clist buffer
>pool as terminals, and therefore your system must be appropriately tuned
>to maintain data integrity.

Someone please tell me this isn't so !  Last I looked, Clist blocks were 64
bytes each, with a typical small system having only ~100.

Also the raw disk shouldn't be doing buffering at all, otherwise it wouldn't
be raw.

>A typical symptom of exhausted Clists buffers would be losing characters
>as they are being typed in, or blocks of data missing when you cat large
>files to the terminal screen.  Now imagine that your screen is the Raw disk
>device.  You should be able to see the extent of the exposure to data
>integrity problems.

This must be be due a high interrupt overhead, loaded system, or massive
terminal activity, not the write()'s to a DISK  stealing clists.
Very likely is that the disk has a higher interrupt priority than the
serial ports and that massive raw (ie UNbuffered) disk io causes a
large interrupt frequency, and potentially causing missed serial io
interrupts or data.

How could fsck possibly work on raw devices if it was as unreliable
as implied here.

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave