Using the raw disk partition

Mark McWiggins mark at intek01.UUCP
Sun Jul 22 19:13:41 AEST 1990

I've read of databases that let you use the raw disk partition instead
of ordinary files.  We do real-time factory automation work, and it
occurs to me that, if this is a significant speed win, this might be
worth looking into for some of our own applications (particularly as
I try to wrench my company away from DOS and toward SysVR4 for our
work.)

What are the pitfalls in doing this?  Is it as easy programmatically
as I envision (opening /dev/rdsk/<whatever> and using it as one big
file)?  Is it even enough of a perfomance win to bother with?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...